LS BOUNCE lilasquad@venus.co.uk: Approval required:

From: owner-lilasquad@venus.co.uk
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 23:36:38 GMT

>From lilasqd@hkg.com Tue Mar 9 23:36:35 1999
From: "John A Pretti" <johnpretti@home.com>
To: <lilasquad@moq.org>
Subject: Re: LS Angels on the MOQ
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:41:31 -0500

hello!

I agree with Bruce that there are two questions we must deal with.

1) Principles of the MoQ
2) Method of presentation

I think that a high-quality explanation will spring from a solid working
knowledge of all the moq's static principles combined with a feel for the
dynamic quality of each situation in which we find ourselves called to
explain these "crazy" books/ideas. Probably the best explanation will cater
to the values of the audience. For example, I will take quite a different
angle with my friend who is a classically-minded physicist by beginning with
the consequences of Quantum Theory, and a romantically-minded artist who is
familiar with Eastern philosophy and religion, by starting with the Tao, or
Zen's dynamic release from "attachment" to any static pattern.

What I feel is important, for myself and all of us, is to agree on those
static intellectual patterns which are the necessary foundation for any
quality exposition of the MoQ, with stress on the "M". I've found that it's
extensions are virtually limitless. No metaphysic is an inconsequential
thing.
The aesthetic(dynamic) quality of Pirsig's ideas are that they are so simple
and
universal. To me, they make perfect sense and explain many discordant areas
of my interests. Yet, this is after much contemplation during which I've
also found that for it to be taken seriously, there is a LOT of
philosophical
questioning and answering to be done. We must first know classically
exactly what we're dealing with before we can romantically express it.

So, what are the essential principles of the moq?
I came up with this classical formulation.

1) The nature of reality is Quality - undefined.

2) It is manifested Dynamically and Statically.

3) Four Static patterns of Value have evolved through the free force of
     Dynamic Quality.

     Physical
     Biological
     Social
     Intellectual

4) Each level arises, but is discrete, from the previous.
      These systems and their relationships account for everything.

5) This is an ethical evolution. When in conflict, the later level has
      moral superiority. Dynamic release from any static pattern
      is the highest good.

This is drawn from the Lila Squad's posts and specifically chapter 12 of
Lila.

Can I make this clearer? Have I missed any essential points (words/ideas?)

Regarding "sermonizing"... I have found the few essays which attempt to
encompass the entire moq very helpful, as each person brings his unique
value patterns and styles to exposition. Perhaps from a series of essays
describing the moq, we can continue to create better descriptions, taking
angles we like from one, discarding others, etc.... But, we must be clear
on the essential principles. Degrading as this intellectual definition of
Quality is, and the rotten nature of static dogma.... I find value in the
buddhist conception of teachings and principles as being merely vehicles,
which must be discarded once "there" (dynamically released and unattached).

-rich

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org