Re: LS 45 minute MOQ

From: Jonathan B. Marder (marder@agri.huji.ac.il)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 20:36:12 GMT

Hi LilaQs,

Mary's challenge of presenting the MoQ in 45 minutes is an interesting
one. Lectures being what they are, I would say that 45 minutes is
generous - if you can't get over the main message in 45 minutes, then
you won't be able to do it at all.

On the other hand, Pirsig used novels as his medium. This makes them of
only limited use in preparing a lecture.
Since Mary's talk is to take place in a "church" setting, I am reminded
that the teachings of Jesus were recorded in the Gospels in the form of
parables. I think that this would be an ideal way to talk about the
MoQ - to take a story, and use it to illustrate salient points of the
MoQ philosophy. Unfortunately, much of our discussion has been in
catechisms - rather ironical, since that question/answer approach can
clearly be identified as "Socratic". This is certainly a criticism that
I would have to level at most of my own contributions.

Another obvious connection between MoQ and the biblical texts is the
issue of Lila compared to the various "harlots" of the Old and New
Testaments. While harlotry per se is strongly condemned in the Old
Testament, it is ironical to see that individual women are treated
fairly favorably (both Old and New). This teaches the importance of
judging and valuing things in context. This to me is central to the
whole quality idea.

Jonathan

>ornamentation. Other times he finds bits that didn't seem to have any
>function are actually essential to the whole machine. Piece by piece he
>rebuilds our intellectual paradigms and uncovers the secret of the
universe
>on the way. Wacky, eccentric, megalomaniac: you could call Pirsig all
these
>things (and many people have). But he's having the time of his life.
> To free himself from his intellectual prison, he must master it
>with such proficiency that it becomes an unconscious part of his
nature.
>That is, he must spin an intellectual web that it is more perfect than
any
>that have gone before, because that is the only way he can empty his
>intellectual cup. The metaphysics of quality is that web and it is both
>mystic and intellectual -- the rational escape from rationality.
>
>In one chapter Pirsig compares himself to a particular South American
>shaman, or brujo. By all accounts this man really existed and his
struggle
>to change his society has been documented in anthropological reports.
This

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org