RE: LS Power and the MOQ

From: Bretana, Charles (charles.bretana@unistudios.com)
Date: Mon Apr 12 1999 - 15:44:29 BST

   From a technical perspective (Original use of these words), every one of
you examples of the use of the word Power is really a use of the concept
Energy. Energy is the capability to do work. Chemical energy, Electrical,
nuclear, kinetic, potential energy, etc. are all things that have the
capability to do work.....

   Power, on the other hand is the "Rate" at which work is done..... A great
deal of energy, released a trickle at a time, is not very powerful (Is not
doing work at a great rate) whereas a small amount of energy, released all
at once, is more "powerful" An example is a mountain, which contains an
enormous amount of potential energy (From it's height), but it "Falls" at a
very slow rate.... and a ten pound weight dropped from six feet onto your
foot.
The mountain contains vastly more potential energy then the ten pound
weight, but the ten pound weignt's energy is released much more quickly, and
does more work in the same 1 second interval.

   The "common" understanding of the word Power is of course, much
different, by virtue of general ignorance of it's technical meaning. It is
misunderstood and misused, as technical words often are, in ways too
numerous to list. Trying to apply any MOQ Analysis techniques to the
technically incorrect common usages of the word seems to me to be pointless.