Re: LS Dynamic and static

From: Carmen Flynn (theflynn@dynamo.com.ar)
Date: Fri May 14 1999 - 15:06:05 BST

Hola Ls,

Today I would like to tell you'll (I don't want to forget my Texan) about:
a) Styles.
b) John B. / Diana Post.
c) Dynamic Quality / static Quality, and the delicate balancing act they perform.

a) Styles. When I joined this group, I made a decision about what 'my style' was going to be regarding communication. I chose a 'Dynamic Style'. With that I mean, that I just write the ideas as they come to my mind using 'the first person' and the 'third person'. The reason I did this was because I think I already have enough 'static levels' embedded in my
own life and for the sake of balance, choosing a 'Dynamic style' seemed like the 'right path'. The routine is, I take time to read the post and then write down whatever comes to mind. Almost never, re-read the post because if I do, then I become aware of all the grammar and spelling mistakes and feel like I need an editor to go through the entire post. But,
you see, that will take out the 'Dynamic Quality'. Or, is that an unconscious excuse to be a sloppy writer?. I hardly have time to respond, let alone re-edit. So, my dear friend please accept my apologies If I ever offend any of you with that. Sometimes, I do tell more personal stuff than I should, but I hope you all have learned to read 'embedded stories'.
Who cares about those personal little details? A little voice answers inside of me: Don't worry, is all Dynamic. You want 'static's' get a Ph.D.. For those of you familiar with the Linda Radner's character, Rossane Rossana Danna, if you don't get any of these: "Never Mind". However, I do love the variety of 'styles' we get on the LS group. Variety is the
spice of life.

b) John B. / Diana Post.:

> [John B]: "..........I am intrigued by the many references in Lila Squad that suggest a 'pursuit' of dynamic quality. In my mind this is due to a fundamental confusion, for which I blame Pirsig, that
> quality is the same as value, or more incorrectly, that quality equals good. "

[Carmen]: I am sure you have heard the famous....is it western? eastern?...saying REACH FOR THE MOON AND YOU MIGHT GET OVER THE FENCE. I think that's what we all the LS is doing. Not that DQ is the pinnacle of existence, but If I 'REACH' for it, as high as I can.....then I might get close.There is a very fundamental issue. When you do 'experience' Dynamic
Quality' and you have a choice (and I will argue that one always does), is it, or must you take the Dynamic Quality choice? I will tell you my answer with absolute awareness: "DYNAMIC QUALITY is NOT always the right path. Seeking Dynamic Quality does not mean that once you encountered you need to grab on to it. Hell no-no-no. First you need to ask
yourself a few questions. Am I destroying the 'static Quality value-patters' that the 'newly to be created or chosen Dynamic Quality value -pattern' will replace. Is that static Quality value-pattern 'allowing me', or is it 'opening up' to the option that I am about to carry upon 'it'? Quickly one must choose, because Dynamic Quality is very elusive, is
the 'NOW OR NEVER' feeling. DQ 'bewitches' your whole being, it is pure enchantment, it plays the 'devil's advocate' on you. But, wait, one has already prepare for such encounter. How? That's when Dharma comes in. You have had thousand upon thousand time done your 'routines', first you check your 'moral code', if you don't, then well 'don't cry once you
have spilled the Milk', you must face the consequences. Here is the perfect time for Diana's quote:

""the surest way to reconcile Dynamic and static is to reduce one's life to a rigid routine
and to dedicate oneself to perfecting it.""

You train yourself for that Dynamic Moment Encounter with the 'rigid routine' workout.

[John B]: . "...It is when we come to the level which Pirsig calls the 'intellectual' that the
problems really multiply, though. Diana says "it is hard to see what is really better".
Indeed. With a million options open to me, how am I to choose those few which will deliver the most dynamic quality.

[Carmen]: The answer to that conundrum is giving is just over on my previous paragraph. "It is not always the Dynamic Quality choice the right path".

[John B]:.:........"It is as though dynamic quality branches out, leading us further and further apart aswe follow our own perception of quality, until we risk losing contact with all other people..........

> ......except the tiny group who share our interests. Perhaps we are really in touch with a dynamic
> value but are ahead of our age, like Pirsig's brujo, and we suffer the isolation and lack of
> empathy, so compensate for it with drink or drugs or insanity.

[Carmen]: Correct, but this is not the only civilization that has experience the same thing. History is full of examples, as far as we can check back. That's how new Paradigms evolve. That keeps the engines of civilization going. The real killer on that statement....'risk losing contact with all other people....' The final result however is better. There is
an old spanish saying "Mejor solo que mal acompa~nado", translate to : "You are better off alone that with bad company". Here is where Quality not "Quantity" matters. Let me tell you another thing that I know fir certain, by experience:
When people (we) are embarked in a MOQ trip, we literally GLOW with the AURA of QUALITY. Just watch and you will see it. Think back in some events of your life, and the best things happened to you at those 'lonely stages'. Your whole being generates, or radiates an energy that makes other people 'gravitate towards you'. Most of the time, 99% of the time,
they are the best people you will ever encounter. That does not mean that you are immune to pain, not by a long shot. In fact sometimes one tends to forget it, you let your guard down, and other people or events do come an harm you. But, that's part of life.

> [John B]:..........."Part of the misery of the
> Western world is this sense of alienation, even amongst the most productive personalities
> amongst us. ......"

[Carmen]: I could write 'The book of alienation', but unfortunately there is not time for it.

> [John B.]:....."The supermarket of ideas and 'isms' and religions and cults and 'spirituality'
> soon palls, and we are left isolated and afraid. At the everyday level, even if I am wise
> enough to avoid 'simple hedonism', how do I know what options are worth pursuing?"
> "{Here is the best quote on John's Post}":

> """""" Quoting Aubrey Menen, in 'The New Mystics', "the
> honest sort of Indian mystic has something very simple to say. He knows a way of putting our
> minds to rest without resorting to drink, or drugs, or a crack over the head with a hammer. It
> is a way of stopping you thinking. It has no appeal to people whose worry is that they never
> seem to have started: but more intelligent people do often feel that they need a holiday from
> their own minds, while leaving them intact to come home to when the holiday is over. That is
> all Indian mysticism is about, but as I shall show ... it is quite enough. In fact, it is one of the
> most revolutionary ideas in the history of civilization.""""""""""
> [John B.]: ............." I do
> not have much respect for Zen methods at all, because I think Zen heads in the right
> direction and then sells its practitioners short. Zen arose in a highly militaristic society and
> shares many of its vices. It is a corrupt path, if you like........."

[Carmen]: I agree with you here, maybe not for the same reasons, but the end result is the same. I did spent a lot of time studying the ''''Oriental Wisdom's''''.{ Close but not Cigar; (I never understood this joke) my anglo husband, did finally explained to me one day. Let's don't get off the subject}.

> -----------I could sit here and write forever, but I already missed my spinning-cycle work out routine, and I have to go to play some Tennis. [By the way Diana. I have been trying to apply the 'Zen and the art of archery technique' on my Tennis. IT'S NOT WORKING. I have lost more consecutive matches than when I had 'no method' before. The only good thing
> that has come out of it is that complete strangers from the Tennis Club, keep calling me because they like the way I play. Sure!, they win!!!! all the time. The word going around is that if you want to practice play Carmen. It is more like if you want to win a match, play CArmen.]

Anyways,....I did not have time for part (C), but I'll get to it soon.

Ciao Bell(o)as
Hasta la vista,
Carmen.

MOQ Online - http://www.moq.org