MF what's art ; what's technology ?

From: Leighton John Ellis (leighton@postur.is)
Date: Wed Jan 12 2000 - 17:48:44 GMT

Hi all,

interesting discussion...

I noticed my friends bottle-opener the other day.

It was beautiful.. Ideally weighted... Brushed stainless steel all of it.
It was phenomenal. It consisted of the corkscrew mounted on a
long rodlike screw... with sides to cover the wine-bottle stem and guide
the screw down into the cork squarely... the top rod was perpendicular
to the screw, and squarely mounted - of an ideal aesthetic & functional
length - tapered to points on each side. The mounting for the top rod had
a stretched hole through which the corkscrew rod rose and was not
welded.....

Part of the reason why this bottle-opener was so spectacular was how it
operated.

I placed the bottle opener over the bottle and turned the top rod
clockwise...and the screw dug down neatly and centrally into the cork...
I twisted it until all the corkscrew had disappeared into the cork...
.. then, I simply lifted the top rod mounting.. and turned the top rod anti-
clockwise.. this latched the mounting in the up-position and simply
unscrewed the cork out of the bottle...

beautiful.

It was SO elegant in its simplicity... of design.. of function...
Beautiful in craftsmanship of production...

This corkscrew moved me. More than half the paintings I have seen
hung in various galleries I have seen over the world... more than
most of the sculptures I have walked past in the parks round the cities..
in the galleries...

it was art in my opinion. why? the beauty held with its structure, and
ideas - the very concept of it. - the fact it creates emotion within me.

Marco wrote....
>4) What happened to separate art and technology?
>It was not important the date of the separation, but the evolution
>step in which it happened. Well, it happened for the very first time
>when a human being invented something to communicate an internal
>inspiration. His creation had a meaning, and maybe it was not useful.
>Since then, evolution worked to separate social rt , technology, from
>intellectual rt, Art.

I am not so sure it ever has separated... I think what has separated is
people seeing art in technology... and technology as art...

When we say something is Art, it is afterall a subjective view...
just as when we say something is Technological....

For something to be Art, requires someone to say "this is art."
or perhaps... "look at the art created/of by that!"

>5) Is this divorce definitive?
>Yes. And moral. Just like it's moral the divorce between intPoVs
>and socPoVs. But it doesn't mean that technology has no values.
>It must be useful and easy, to be appreciated. And it never has to clash
>Art. At the contrary, it's good when someone is able to put a little bit of

>art in technology. So a good design, for example, is a small step beyond
>when creating a new technology product.

No... and moral. I felt the whole idea behind ZAMM was the re-introduction
of
the idea that art and technology are not so separated... and I still feel
that.

All it takes for the two to become joined is someone to notice and admire...

Leighton.
ps.. there were a couple of days between me opening that bottle & writing
this!

MOQ.org - http://www.moq.org