Re: MD other writers

From: Scott R (jse885@spinn.net)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 04:11:17 GMT

    Those who have heard me rave (or rant) about him for about a year now will
    not be surprised when I recommend Owen Barfield, especially his "Saving the
    Appearances: A Study in Idolatry" as a book that more than any I know of
    lays out what the shift to the intellectual level is all about (N.b., this
    book was written in 1958, so it is independent of Pirsig's work).

    I came across this recently, to show that I'm not alone in my ravings. This
    from John Lukacs "At the End of an Age":

    "I consider this -- so often hardly recognized -- English writer [Barfield]
    (1898-1998) as one of the greatest, and surely one of the profoundest and
    clearest (a rare combination) thinkers in the twentieth century."

    - Scott