MD Political Correctness

From: ant.mcwatt@ntlworld.com
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 17:25:09 BST

    David Buchanan stated August 29th 2004:

    > The right has
    > been using political correctness as a rhetorical bludgeon the left for at
    > least a decade. It’s all part of the angry-white-men thing. Apparently, lots
    > of conservatives are upset that its no longer socially acceptable to refer
    > to black people as "niggers" and such. Isn't it ironic that they feel
    > oppressed by the demand that they stop oppressing others?

    Ant McWatt comments:

    Just to add to David’s comment here, I would certainly be interested in discovering the history of the term “political correctness”. As a student of mine once remarked, it was probably just invented by a spin-doctor with right-wing sympathies to undermine non-conservative views. It is a process of stigmatisation employed by politicians or other commentators to avoid having a full and proper debate with views they seek to denigrate. As such, I’d definitely agree with the sentiment that the use of the term “political correctness” is a blight on [the] intellect.

    For anyone who wants to explore further this “angry-white-men” thing with being “PC” may I recommend Michael Moore’s “Stupid White Men” published by Penguin in 2001 and my present read of choice, Bill Hick’s “Love All the People” (published this year) which contains a number of his previously unpublished letters and manuscripts. Here is a section from a letter to a priest who complained to Hicks about one of his TV shows:

    “Dear Mr Christian...

    If comedy is an escape from anything, it is an escape from illusions. The comic, by using the Voice of Reason, reminds us of our True Reality, and in that moment of recognition, we laugh, and the reality of the daily grind is shown for what it really is – unreal... The audience is relieved to know they’re not alone in thinking, ‘This bullshit we see and hear all day makes no sense. Surely I’m not the only one who thinks so. And surely there must be an answer.’ Good comedy helps people know they’re not alone. Great comedy provides an answer.”

    And, if no-one has seen it yet, Moore’s recent movie, “Fahrenheit 9-11” is even more of an eye opener than his books. It is certainly a great comedy in Hick’s understanding of the term!

    Best wishes,

    Anthony.

    MD Queries -