Re: MD A bit of reasoning

From: David Morey (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 12 2004 - 15:24:19 BST

    Hi Scott- also see below.

    Is not DQ the hand that creates the polarity that enables SQ to emerge?

      [Scott replies:]
      A particular is not a pattern. To be a pattern requires (a) =
    repeatability, and (b) cognizability, that is, to be graspable as a =
    whole, since otherwise there is way to appreciate value. But anyway...

      DM: a particular can be an example of a universal

      It is a myth that the MOQ has dissolved the mind/matter debates. It =
    has appeared to have done so only be redefining some words so that the =
    debates can no longer be adequately expressed. This is what materialism =
    does, except the MOQ has added the word "quality", so that anything =
    mysterious can be said to be done by DQ. which is no more help than =
    saying it is done by God. The mind/matter question is not resolved =
    unless the following questions have answers:

      If there was a time that there were no universals, how did the first =
    universal get created?
      What is the origin of language?
      Why does thinking and feeling seem to come from "within" (to be "me") =
    while sense perception seems to come from "without" (to be caused by =
    "not me")?

      DM: the whole idea of SQ implies that patterns exist with their local =
    separateness from the whole.
      inner and outer is a function of being a part of a local SQ pattern =
    operated sympathically relating
      to other patterns that are relating proximately

      Why does simply thinking that subject/object dualism is "just a static =
    pattern of intellectual value" not allow one to dissolve the difference =
    between me and not-me?

      DM: because there has been an evolution from a One to a Many, but for =
    there to be any awareness of these Others
      there is a contradictory underlying unity.

      Why is being aware of what I just thought different from being aware =
    of the tree in front of me? (note: in SOM these are two different kinds =
    of objects. In the MOQ one cannot say that, since in the MOQ only =
    inorganic and biological patterns can be objects of awareness.)
      Is mind identical to the brain (or: can there be mind, or =
    consciousness, without a brain)?

      DM: Well you are aware of social and intellectual patterns but not =
    spacially, these should help us to realise
      how we can think ontologically about the limits of our experience and =
    that cocepts that are seeable but still only=20
      concepts like spaceality and temporailty are not fundamental in the =
    same way that subject-object is not
      fundamental, or rather, that the inconsistencies of experience can =
    actually allow us to think
      past its tinted spectacles -back to realism, but carefully built on an =
    honest and full and critical
      conception/description of it.

      And so on. The MOQ's answers (at least as you give them above, and I =
    haven't seen any better answers) amount to dualism. There was matter =
    (static particulars) and then there was mind (static universals). Unless =
    DQ is God and created universals ex nihilo, in which case the MOQ is =
    theistic. Unless universals "really are" reducible to particulars (say =
    neural events), in which case the MOQ is materialist. In short, the MOQ =
    provides nothing new for a philosophy of mind.

      I had better repeat that I do find value in the MOQ, and that =
    recognizing the reality of value is extremely important, and I certainly =
    agree with it that the upper levels morally trump the lower. So what I =
    am getting at here is to point out that as a metaphysics it is =
    drastically incomplete, and without something drastic like my first =
    point in the "bit of reasoning" (that all SQ are universals) there is no =
    hope of moving on with it. To do so requires changing its existing =
    attitude toward intellect, away from a SOM one (nominalistic).

      DM: MAYBE WE NEED TO RETURN TO DISCUSSING THE PLATYPUS GANG

      (And yes, I acknowledge that I don't have answers to these questions =
    either, at least ones that can be expressed without violating the law of =
    the excluded middle, or without questioning the absoluteness of time. My =
    position (borrowed from Peirce, Coleridge, Barfield, Nishida, etc.) is =
    that the answers require polarity, or contradictory identity. That =
    subject and object arise together, that each defines the other as it =
    negates the other.)

      DM: Is it not SQ & DQ arise together? You seem to be forgetting that =
    Pirsig is taking the SO divide and pulling all the patterns out of the =
    subject to leave DQ on one side and all patterns on the SQ side. This =
    then deconstructs everything we have thought to date about matter, =
    objects, objectivity.

      - Scott