Re: MD Access to Quality

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 05:25:21 BST

    On 5 Apr 2005 at 3:25, hampday@earthlink.net wrote:

    ant said:
    > Except the former is based on faith (and in MOQ terms read "low
    > quality intellectual pattern") and probably induced by some form of
    > hypnosis when part of a congregation or religious crowd while a
    > relationship with Quality is a "matter of fact" one.

    ham:
    What a way to put down believers! If it's a spiritual concept it has
    to be a "low quality intellectual pattern", whereas, if it's "a
    matter of fact" it's worthy of the Quality stamp. Who's to say that
    a religious experience is not a matter of fact? You've prejudged the
    experience before even analyzing it. Can you not see the hypocrisy
    of your argument?

    msh:
    Muslims faithfully believe propositions which directly contradict
    propositions faithfully believed by Christians. Both claim their
    beliefs are based on factual religious experiences. Can you not see
    the philosophical problem with faith-based belief systems? THIS is
    what Pirsig means by patterns of low intellectual quality.

    ham:
    Let's suppose that at your death you are faced with having to make a
    voluntary choice between the following two options.

    Option 1 (Nothingness): You may choose that, effective immediately,
    your proprietary awareness, including all memory of your
    life-experience will be permanently erased. Your
    "consciousness-of-self" will, in effect, return to the nothingness
    from whence you came.

    Option 2 (Somethingness): You may choose "psychic continuity" in a
    form or mode that is presently incomprehensible to you and that can
    only be revealed by choosing it beforehand.

    How would you choose?

    This isn't a trick question...it gets to what I think is the
    "essential core" of both religion and philosophy.

    msh asks:
    Why sugar-coat the question with jargon? You are asking whether or
    not most people would like to believe they are immortal. It should
    come as no surprise to you that the answer is yes. The primary
    function of religious belief systems is to facilitate the denial of
    personal annihilation upon death. If the majority of people were
    comfortable with the notion of their own mortality, the need for
    religious dogma would have gone extinct long ago.

    You value philosophy and you are desperate for religion. This is
    obvious in your attempt to place religion and philosophy at the same
    intellectual level. You're right in claiming that this craving for
    personal survival beyond death is at the core of religion; but to
    suggest that it is at the core of philosophical inquiry is
    ahistorical nonsense.

    DMB touched on this earlier, so here's a question for you: Why is
    it that the folks who find death most fearsome are the same who
    adamantly believe in Heaven, and their own ballistic acceleration
    thence? Seems like the transition would be a cherished upgrade, no?

    And, since I'm asking questions, is it possible to have a a design
    without a designer? A creation without a creator? You apparently
    believe the universe was designed and created, and yet you don't call
    yourself a theist. How does that work, exactly?

    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)

    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983