Re: MD Theism, Non-Theism, Anti-Theism, Nihilism

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@cox.net)
Date: Fri Jul 15 2005 - 17:35:12 BST

    Arlo, Erin et al

    [Arlo had suggested]
    > Above the doors to every church, every synagogue, every mosque, every
    > university, every museum, should hang these words: "All this is just an
    > analogy". If THAT were understood, we'd be well on our way to true
    > MOQ-progress.

    [Erin replied]
    > I am having trouble reconciling this side of Pirsig (which I like) with
    > his
    accusation of "willingness to believe in falsehoods." What does willingness
    believe in falsehoods mean exactly if "All this is just an analogy".

    [Arlo responds]
    My take is, because one HAS to have analogies to function. This is my take
    on
    his statement "The mythos is a building of analogues upon analogues upon
    analogues. These fill the collective consciousness of all communicating
    mankind. Every last bit of it."

    I think Pirsig would say that the Intellect is built upon these analogues.
    There
    is no way around that. But, I think the key is, to not think we can simply
    "dismiss the analogies", but to always remember that that is what they are.
    We've created them, and now they, in turn, create us (this is what he means
    when he talks about the "collective consciousness of all communicating
    mankind").

    Scott:
    While I for the most part agree with this, it overlooks something, namely
    how there could be an analogy in the first place. Also, it is given, I
    believe, with the assumption that if all human beings were to vanish, there
    would be something left, on which analogizing has been a-building, but which
    is not itself analogy (though any attempt on our part to think about it
    would be analogizing). Shades of Kant, and a lingering remnant of S/O
    thinking.

    Both problems are overcome by treating analogy (or more generally, semiosis)
    as all there is. God (analogically speaking), as well as humanity, creates
    by speaking analogically.

    [Arlo said:]
    These analogies are dialectically related to us. THIS is a good way to think
    about how our cognition is shaped by the analogies we internalize (through
    experience in a culture). Indeed, a "culture" could be defined as a
    "accepted
    set of analogies".

    The trouble starts when we somehow start believing that these analogies are
    "truth". Then we get into static social battles; with religion, for example,
    the Hindi Gods or the Christian God, the Jewish God or the Sioux Gods.
    Endless
    social static bickering because we forget that these are analogies.

    Scott:
    While it is true that societies battle and suppress freedom in the name of
    religion, the theologians (religious intellectuals) have never forgotten
    that all their talk of God is analogical. Indeed, the notion that truth
    about reality could be definitely established through logic and/or science
    is a modernist notion.

    - Scott