Re: MD Myth of the Stand-Alone Genius

From: Mark Steven Heyman (markheyman@infoproconsulting.com)
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 16:39:12 BST

    Hi Sam, and all,

    On 6 Aug 2005 at 10:28, Sam Norton wrote:

    Hi MSH,

    > msh 7-30-05:
    > Give us an example of an original idea. Better yet, give us an
    > example of a stand-alone genius, since that's what this thread is
    > about.

    Assuming an individual contains both social and intellectual levels,
    no stand alone genius can exist apart from their own social level
    patterns; those social level patterns are by definition not exclusive
    to the single person. So you can point to any original thinker and
    say 'look at those social patterns, see he's not as unique as he
    thinks he is'.

    msh:
    You can also point to his ideas and say they are original only
    insofar as you understand them to be, within your own necessarily
    parochial domain of experience. People claim that human fingerprints
    and snow flakes are unique; this is weak inference stemming from the
    fact that no two sets of prints or snowflakes have been found
    identical. Same deal applies to ideas.

    sam:
    But I think that misses the point.

    <snip Witt stuff, cause even he is no more original than a
    snowflake.>

    But it doesn't stop it being true that the source of a new idea comes
    through a single person. Which is what I take Pirsig to be saying
    about the brujo.

    msh:
    That new ideas must come from a single person has already been shown
    to be false. New ideas evolve out of a culture and, as shown by the
    examples of Newton-Leibniz Darwin-Wallace Salk-Sabine, can arise
    simultaneously from within different people. There was no "first"
    walking fish; I see no reason to expect cultural evolution to occur
    differently.

    As for the brujo, his ideas were new within Zuni, but old hat among
    the Plains Indians, say. I think Pirsig agreed with Benedict here.
    See my 7-29 post starting this thread. Or carefully re-read the
    relevant 8 pages from LILA-9.

    I think it's worth repeating here that I'm not claiming there are no
    individuals; my claim is that no one individual is intellectually
    unique and, therefore, worthy of special celebration. Where such
    celebration occurs, it is a public relations con job catering to an
    apparently common human need to idolize.

    Finally, and most important, though individuals exist, none take
    precedence over society. Only ideas take precedence over society.

    Mark Steven Heyman (msh)

    --
    InfoPro Consulting - The Professional Information Processors
    Custom Software Solutions for Windows, PDAs, and the Web Since 1983