Re: MD secular humanism and dynamic quality

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 27 2004 - 11:21:50 GMT

    Hi Matt

    See M.Houellebecq's moral novel Elementary Particles or Atomised.
    and Arthur Gibson's discussion of physics and intentionality in God and the
    Universe
    for some useful/dynamic stuff, the line between static identity and dynamic
    transcendence
    is always on the move, sure you can do some static stuff for a while but why
    try and shore up static stuff? I suppose the argument comes down to: are you
    getting
    creativity or causing chaos. But one man's revolution is anothers law and
    order breakdown.

    Matt:
    > Yes, as I already noted, it is a contingent matter. My further prediction
    is that the only way to keep up liberalism is with secularism.

    DM: OK you've given me enough flexibility to accept your temporary right to
    talk secular if you want to, problem
    is, as Rorty accepts, things are not looking very good for liberalism.
    Problem is real solutions are not on the agenda,
    the call is to arms, and we've got millions of them! We continue with a
    lesser of many evils approach, is there a path
    to something that is actually good? Can we just walk away from the edge of
    the abyss? What do you think would be
    the result of us letting the oil go? Can the US do without access to the
    world's resources? Does the US/West have a right to them? Looks like all
    those anti-democracy regimes we propped up from the cold war are coming back
    to haunt us.
    Can the tide turn in Iraq do you think? Can something good be achieved? I
    think we may be in more trouble than hanging or to liberalism can handle,
    because we are probably are going to be able to hang on to it. Your
    thoughts...