RE: MD "Mystical Experience" and static interpretations.

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 21:26:10 GMT

    Sam and all:

    Sam said:
    Thing is, I don't disagree that DQ is 'higher' than any of the static forms,
    or that it is the origin of religion. I particularly agree with you that
    religions have 'grown out of it and refer back to it'. It's just that I
    think an awareness of what has already been 'discovered' or 'static latched'
    can help you get to the 'cutting edge' more effectively (and that that is
    what the Christian mystics do). What they *don't* do, in my understanding,
    is to try and generate 'experiences'. That is, there is a difference of
    degree, and not of kind, between mystical awareness and spiritual growth.
    Mystical experience is not a different category of experiencing to any other
    form of experiencing, and it doesn't provide a surer ground for static
    knowledge (other than subjectively). To say otherwise is a form of
    'spiritual positivism' - and is, in fact, a species of SOM thinking as I
    understand it. Ooh. That might be worth spelling out.....once I've been
    cured of my own residual SOM biases by Wim ;-)

    DMB says:
    Hmmm. The static interpretations (religions, churches, theology) are
    supposed to get one to the "cutting edge", but not generate a mystical
    experience? This is either a logical contradiction or the "cutting edge" is
    something different than the mystical experience. Please explain. I'd
    certainly grant that there are genuinely mystical forms of Christianity, but
    I just don't see it in the descriptions you've provided. What I see, so far
    at least, are those strangling vines. I can see that they refer back to the
    origins, to the actual encounter with DQ, but the reference is back is
    relatively weak and thin. It tends to obscure and hide it rather that bring
    it out. We also disagree about the nature of the experience itself. My own
    mystical experiences were of a completely different order than any other
    experiences and the accounts I've read assert the same thing. Spiritual
    positivism? That's a new one! As I understand it, Western religions and the
    dominant secular world view (SOM) both reject mysticism. They tend to view
    mystics as either evil or crazy. The rejection of mysticism is one of the
    very few things they have in common. It seems clear to me that Mysticism is
    very far away from SOM. They're somthing like opposites. Pirsig refers to
    SOM as "amoral scientific (static) materialism" whereas Mysticism is moral,
    dynamic and spiritual.

    From MYSTICISM: Its History and Challenge by Bruno Borchert, who is a senior
    researcher on art and mysticism at the Titus Brandsma Institute and a
    Christian mystic of the Carmelite Order. He says that in the mysticism of
    the East, such as Japanese Zen, "cultural pursuits are actually used to
    encourage the right atmosphere for mystical experiencs: archery, raking a
    garden tidy, tea drinking, painting, paradoxical speech, Za-Zen during the
    daily routine. Culture plays a big role in Western Mysticism too, but often
    is a negative sense: the individual withdraw from society because its
    culture is felt to be too coarse, too rich, too oppressive. When this
    attitude leads to a counterculture, a mystical culture will often arise
    within it based on experiences of a reality that is rewarding enough to
    mitigate life's hardships. Such a counterculture came into being very early,
    in the 4th century, when Christianity, having become the state religion,
    clothed itself in imperial purple and employed civil power to enforce a
    specific doctrine concerning god. ... A similar counterculture also lies at
    the root of the imposing medieval mysticism of the Netherlands. They were
    thought to be such pests by the established church and by society, that many
    of them were burned at the stake. They were called Beguines. This was a term
    of abuse until..."

    Gerhard Wher has written a number of books on Christian spirituality. In an
    essay titled C.G. Jung in the Context of Christian Esotericism and Cultural
    History he writes, "The real problem is that it is not enough merely to deal
    with the testimonies of the religious or spiritual traditon by means of the
    known methods of philology and histrorical and testual criticism. That would
    be to seek to grasp the mystery of Christianity purely in external terms,
    that is, exoterically. However, esoteric spirituality that is worthy of the
    name is primarily concerned with the development of personal inwardness,
    with one's own experience and with transformation. A theology without
    experience is hardly is a position to mediate that spiritual knowledge and
    spiritual direction which is nowadays sought more than ever." He then quotes
    from C.G. Jung's MEMORIES, DREAMS, REFLECTIONS. "I was equally sure that
    none of the theologians I knew had ever seen "the light that shineth in the
    darkness" with his own eyes, for if they had they would not have been able
    to teach a "theological religion," which seemed quite inadequate to me,
    since there was nothing to do with it but believe it without hope. This is
    what my father (a Reformed pastor) had tried valiantly to do and had run
    aground. .. I recognized that this celebrated faith of his had played a
    deadly trick on him, and not only on him but on most of the cultivated and
    serious people I knew. The arch sin of faith, it seemed to me, was that it
    forestalled experience."

    It seems to me that choosing doctrine and theology over the unmediated and
    direct experience is very much like going out to a resturant in order to eat
    the menu.

    Thanks.