Re: MD Static and Dynamic aspects of religion and mysticism

From: Wim Nusselder (wim.nusselder@antenna.nl)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 22:26:39 GMT

    Dear Sam,

    You wrote 4/12 11:14 -0000:
    'I would say that it is only when you are conformed to God that you meet God
    in the Eucharist, ie, only when you are open to DQ that DQ can flow through
    you.'

    Do you need the Eucharist to meet God if you are 'conformed to God'? (Can I
    translate 'conformed to God' to 'open to divine guidance'?)

    I'd say that DQ 'evolves' your patterns, if you identify with their
    versatility rather than their stability, whatever the patterns you identify
    with. No, maybe not with their versatility, but rather with the harmony with
    higher level patterns of value (and with new-patterns-about-to-crystallize
    when you are talking about 4th level patterns of value) that informs the
    balance between versatility and stability.

    If we can meet God in whatever religious forms we choose (but we have to
    choose!), how can we champion some forms (even our own choice -Eucharist,
    meeting in silence etc.) as more valuable than others?
    In the words of William Penn which I quoted before (and which do not, by the
    way, imply a belief in 'life after death' for me):
    '"The humble, meek, merciful, just, pious and devout souls are everywhere of
    one religion; and when death has taken off the mask, they will know one
    another, though the divers liveries they wear here makes them strangers."
    (1693)'
    How can we choose one 'livery' over the other if it is only the 'soul'
    within that counts?
    I think we do and should choose the religious forms that 'fit' our own
    openness/conformity to God. From our own viewpoint we can describe our
    increasing openness/conformity by describing our 'road' from less to more
    valuable religious forms. For me that was a road from the Reformed Churches
    in the Netherlands to (through?) the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
    For you it was -if I remember rightly- a road from atheism to (through?)
    Anglicanism. Description that turns into prescription of such a 'road' for
    others, suggestion that increasing openness/conformity is dependant on
    choosing the right 'road' denies that it is the 'traveler that counts
    rather than the 'road'. Another 'traveler may travel the same 'road' in
    exactly the opposite direction to express his becoming a 'humble, meek,
    merciful, just, pious and devout soul'.

    So, if we go on to describe 'static and Dynamic aspects of religion and
    mysticism', we should try to describe static and Dynamic aspects of
    ourselves rather than of the religious forms we've chosen. Agree?
    And ... what informs our experience of 'balance' between these aspects?

    You asked 18/11 19:34 -0000 what 'lower rungs' of Christian faith remain
    necessary according to me 'to prevent the ladder from falling apart'.
    - the mind set of 'faith' itself, with its connotations of 'trust',
    'promise', 'loyalty' and 'sincerity'
    - a plot or narrative backbone of 'continuing revelation' (of history as an
    arrow rather than a circle)
    - a calling to own activity of the Christian (as response to revelation)

    I would add that the 'ladder' is not exclusively Christian. It may also need
    non- or pre-Christian rungs to prevent it from falling apart... The notion
    of 'good' and 'evil', of moral choice, for instance.