RE: MD The Shibboleth Problem

From: David Buchanan (DBuchanan@ClassicalRadio.org)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 01:25:14 GMT

    Matt said Shibboleth to Scott:
    ...I smiled and she's like, "Ah, I'm guessing you're a non-believer." Yeah,
    militantly so. ...But how am I supposed to receive first-hand accounts like
    that? ...But how am I supposed to take those personal experiences? Are we
    to take any damn fool thing a person says seriously? This is what I call
    the shibboleth problem. ...To tell the real mystics from the fakers, or
    worse, the simply wrong, we need to be able to tell if they are saying
    "shibboleth" or not. The problem isn't whether they are saying
    "shibboleth," whether they are real mystics, the problem is _how would we
    ever know if they were?_ How can we tell the Buddhas from the Call-In
    Cleos?

    dmb replies by quoting Ant McWatt:
    .............................................it's a lot easier to verify a
    mystic experience than, for example, verifying a particular scientific
    understanding of reality from studying the quantum behaviour of sub-atomic
    particles. The former can be verified by anyone (whether in a jungle,
    Western suburb or mountain) with the right guide or with knowledge available

    at any decent local library while the latter can only be verified by a small

    industrialized elite with substantial resources and fairly esoteric
    knowledge. I seem to remember Richard Feynman, the famous physicist and
    Nobel Prize Winner stating that there is probably only a handful of people
    in the world who understand quantum physics - and only to some extent.
    Finally, mystics have more general agreement with each other than quantum
    physicists do in their respective field - Pirsig's SODV paper is as good
    indication of the latter's profound disagreements as any.

    Matt figured:
    The only answer I can figure is through conversation, but the end result of
    that answer means that the only way we can tell a real mystic from someone
    who hasn't penetrated appearance to reality is by behavior, which means that

    they must be behaving according to the conventions of an established
    tradition, a tradition that would deem them a mystic. The end result of
    this line, I think, is that the only practical thing that matters, then,
    isn't whether there was any penetration or not, but the results of the
    conversation itself. The conversation is what matters, the inquiry is what
    matters, not whether we say that they penetrated beyond appearances.

    dmb replies:
    I don't see the logic here. First of all, why is it only the practical thing
    that matters? I mean, are you not trying to judge mysticism in terms of
    utilitarianism or some wierd thing like that? And how do it follow that
    conversation means judging mystics according to their behaviour or defering
    to an established tradition? And in the MOQ appearance and reality are the
    same thing. Appearance IS reality. And so characterizing the mysticsal
    wexperience in terms of the appearnce/reality distinction seems quite off.

    I think the answer is at least partly tied in with Pirsig's hieracrchy.
    Huston Smith is very pithy on this issue. (He and Pirsig would agree since
    they both subscribe to the perennial philosophy and that implies
    epistemological pluralism.) As Smith puts it, "reality is graded, and with
    it, cognition". That is to say that each level of reality is going to have
    its own distinct means of verification. "Objects" are easy to confirm. Just
    ask anyone with eyes that work. Scientific experiments require more
    elaborate varification procedures and demand more from the peers who will
    review the theories and lab procedures and such, as Ant's explanation above
    makes clear. And to verify our mystical experiences we also check with those
    who understand the tools of that field. Yes, it sound quite exotic.
    Mysticism conjures up visions of ancient little men on mountain tops while
    science looks more like a balding middle-aged nerd in a white lab coat, but
    the fact is, mysticism is not THAT mysterious. There are practices and
    practicioners. There are theories, schools and religions. There are gurus
    and academic types. I mean, if you're suggesting that there is no way to
    investigate the matter I'd simply point out that Mr. Google and a million
    books say otherwise.