Re: MD Christianity v. Islam (v. Whatever)

From: khaled Alkotob (khaledsa@juno.com)
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 07:23:26 BST

    What is most interesting about the birth of Islam, is how that the two
    previous religion are included: making Islam fundamentally closer to
    Christianity and Judaism than they are to each other.

    The only disagreement with Judaism is whom did Abraham attempt to
    sacrifice, Isaac or Ishmael? They agree on most everything else, from
    dietary laws to circumcision.

    The disagreement with Christianity is on the trinity and NOT the coming
    of Jesus. Mary is mentioned in the Koran by name more than Mohammed.

    Jesus came as a Prophet, born to the virgin Mary, and was whisked to the
    Heavens so no harm would come to him. And he, Jesus, is the one coming
    back judgment day.

    Yes it took Europe almost 2000 years to separate politics from religion.
    If such a thing exist.

    The way I see it, religion should be the stepping stone and not the final
    destination.
    It takes an enormous amount of intellect to see the Quality in oneself,
    to become the Buddha.

    When people get ill, they go to the hospital, they get better and leave.
    You don't see people attending the "church" until they are better, then
    they leave.

    Religion needs its Martin Luther, its revolution, every few hundred
    years.

    Remember, this is the High Country of the mind, not all will make the
    journey. Not all want to.

    Khaled

    [khaled]
     One has to look at the dynamics of the messenger. When Jesus came
    > He was reforming an established religion under Roman ruling.

    [Bo]
    > Yes, he was, but I can't help wielding the MOQ. The "movement"
    > called SOM - the intellectual level IMO - had been brewing for
    > some centuries in Greece and had surely made it over to the
    > southern shore of the Mediterranean so Jesus' reformation was to
    > add intellectual value to Judaism. Something the high priest
    > didn't appreciate.
    > don't recognize its directives as we have seen.

    [Bo]
    > Yes, religion is the foremost social ordering system, not only the
    > monotheist ones, the Myths of old were also the cement of
    > society, so it was to the ancient Norse, the Greeks and surely to
    > every culture. Later when the secular rulers appeared they had -
    > as said - have their power sanctified by the clergy.

    [khaled]
    > > That was then and it DOES NOT work today.

    [Bo]