Re: MD metaphysics, swords and heads

From: Scott Roberts (jse885@localnet.com)
Date: Mon Nov 21 2005 - 18:49:46 GMT

    Patrick,

    Patrick said:
    Interesting position regarding consciousness. You say:
     "QM shows that what underlies our perception of spatio-temporal things and
    events cannot be understood as spatio-temporal things and events.".

    When you further on say that the question of consciousness is or is not
    related to
    space and time is a question of metaphysics, I cannot agree. You seem to be
    advocating a particular radicular viewpoint of nonlocality. There are at
    least
    three viewpoints of nonlocality.
    1) All events (consciousness-events as well you might say) happen in space
    and
    time, but with a certain amount of freedom/uncertainty.
    2) All events do not occur in space or time at all. They come from
    'somewhere'
    else, a 'no-place' which can access time and space at essentially any point.
    3) All events do not occur in space or time at all. Space and time are
    properties
    of more fundamental physical ingredients.

    You seem to be holding the third or maybe the second position, which maybe
    are just
    two reformulations of the same viewpoint. To argue for any of these two you
    can
    consider two particles flying from a common source; if they are entangled
    they can
    remain so even if they are micrometers or even lightyears away. Distance
    doesn't
    really seem to matter at all, and might therefore be secondary to the way
    the world
    works.

    Scott:
    I don't think I'm holding any of these positions, or at least I wouldn't
    phrase them this way. I hold that the spatio-temporality of events is
    produced in the act of perception. What it is produced out of, I can't say,
    though I think that QM provides a helpful model in addressing this question.
    For someone who has thought this through in more detail, I recommend Samuel
    Avery's book "The Dimensional Structure of Consciousness: A Physical Basis
    for Immaterialism". If I'm correct, then it will turn out that physics has
    all along unknowingly been a theory of perception, not of that which exists
    independently of perception. That is, I think the mathematics of relativity
    and QM are about the translation from the non-spatio-temporal to the
    spatio-temporal that occurs in perception. But clearly a lot of work needs
    to be done to put meat on this hypothesis. Avery has done some of this work.

    Patrick said:
    Though it seems that these three viewpoints are just a matter of
    metaphysics, the
    first one seems to me the most pragmatical. Consciousness has a certain
    freedom
    beyond space and time but nevertheless is distributed primarily in
    mesoscopic
    regions of matter, our brains, and hardly outside it. So if you stimulate
    the
    sensory cortex with an electrode, a sensation is felt on the hand. With
    transcranial stimulation of the right side of the brain, the raising of the
    left
    hand is preferred by subjects when asked to choose voluntary either one of
    the
    hands (or the other way around, I forgot). Future neuroscience will be able
    pinpoint conscious events in the brain with evermore precision. Do you
    really think
    the possibility of having microchips of some kind in the brain interacting
    directly
    with conscious processes is part of metaphysics? There are already blind
    people
    seeing phonemes or lightspecks in their consciousness because of chips in
    their
    visual cortex.

    Scott:
    None of this, present or anything in the future that I can imagine,
    distinguishes between two metaphysical hypotheses: (1) that the neural
    system produces consciousness, or (2) that the neural system regulates
    consciousness. I hold with (2), because (1) cannot answer the objections
    that I laid out to Case:

    1. QM shows that what underlies our perception of spatio-temporal things and
    events cannot be understood as spatio-temporal things and events. It
    therefore seems reasonable to assume that spatio-temporality of the things
    and events perceived (what makes them, in fact, things) is produced in the
    act of perception from this underlying structure. It thus makes no sense to
    try to explain perception in terms of spatio-temporal things and events.

    2. If the universe consists of chemical reactions, with each reaction
    separated in space and/or time from the others, how can there be awareness
    of anything larger than a chemical reaction?

    Patrick said:
    Don't you think that by identifying neurophysiological processes in the
    brain even
    more, we can evermore freely manipulate conscious processes?

    Scott:
    If you are asking whether or not I think that studying neurophysiological
    processes is a good thing to do, no question, it is. If a drug can cure
    Parkinson's disease, by all means, administer the drug. A badly-performing
    brain will interfere with our ability to get along in this world. But how
    does this decide between the two hypotheses mentioned above?

    Patrick said:
    What do you do when someone tries to chop of your head with a sword? Do you
    just
    think: hey, these are real sensequalia I'm perceiving relating to my
    perception of
    space and time, but have nothing to do with my conscious processes as such
    because
    they disregard space and time and so there's no real danger?

    Don't get me wrong, I symphatize with your position because it's close to
    mine, but
    I wonder how you would reply to such a simple question.

    Scott:
    If my head gets chopped off, my consciousness is no longer regulated by a
    functioning neural system. Since a functioning neural system is necessary to
    get along in the shared spatio-temporal structure we loosely call
    "physical", I can no longer do so -- that is, I die. What happens to "me" at
    that point, I don't know. I suspect that I continue to exist in a
    non-spatio-temporally structured way (or in a differently more or less
    spatio-temporally structured way, like a dream), but it could also be the
    case that "I" simply cease to exist.

    - Scott.