Re: MD Changes

From: Valence (valence10@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 12 2003 - 05:25:03 GMT

    Hey Platt,
    I noticed this thread and I hope you don't mind if I put some honest
    questions your way....

    PLATT
    I'm not in favor of gay marriages....

    ...To survive a society needs to encourage the bonding of bisexual
    couples and require them to provide for the welfare of their offspring.
    Allowing gay marriages would serve to weaken this basic social value. I
    do not see homosexuality to be immoral so long as the sexual behavior
    involved is between consenting adults and violates no obscenity laws.

    RICK
        Okay, I'm going to assume that when you wrote "bisexual couples" you
    meant to write "heterosexual couples" ('bisexuals' are people who are
    sexually attracted to both men and women; a couple with both a man and woman
    in it is 'heterosexual'). That being said, I'm wondering why you chose to
    qualify the term 'couples' at all and why you chose the term 'offspring'
    instead of 'children'? What I'm asking is....Why couldn't your sentence
    have read, "To survive, a society needs to encourage the bonding of couples
    and require them to provide for the welfare of their children." Why is it
    that the members of the relevant couple have to be a man and woman? Why
    does the relevant child have to be their "offspring"?
        Why shouldn't society encourage homosexual couples to marry and provide
    for the welfare of adopted children? As far as I know, there is no shortage
    of children that need adopting. Most of these children are currently living
    in foster care, on the taxpayers tab. Wouldn't society's survival interests
    be better served by letting homosexual couples marry, adopt children and the
    provide for their welfare? Or is there some reason to believe that the
    child is better off growing up in government-sponsored foster home than
    growing up with homosexual parents? Or should we allow gay couples to adopt
    and raise children, but just not get married?
        And what about homosexuals who may be raising their own natural children
    (for example, from a previous heterosexual marriage or relationship)? Is
    there some reason they should only be encouraged to remarry a member of the
    opposite sex in order to raise their offspring in a family? Is there some
    legitimate sociological or intellectual reason to believe that heterosexual
    couples make better parents than homosexual couples?
        Finally, I would ask you to elaborate on your views in light of the
    following Pirsig quote...

    PIRSIG (LILA ch13 p185)
    When the United States drafted troops for the Civil War everyone knew that
    innocent people would be murdered. The North could have permitted the slave
    states to become independent and saved hundreds of thousands of lives. But
    an evolutionary morality argues that the North was right in pursuing that
    war because a nation is a higher form of evolution than a human body, and
    the principle of human equality is an even higher form than a nation.

    RICK
        In this passage, Pirsig tells us that the reason the North was justified
    in preventing the slave states from becoming their own independent country
    is because the independent country contemplated by the seceding slave states
    did not plan to respect the principle of human equality, a form of evolution
    that is higher than even a nation.
        Applied to the topic at hand, I wonder why it is that you don't think
    treating people differently under the law based on their sexual preference
    doesn't also violate the same principle of human equality? Pirsig tells us
    that the principle of human equality is so important, and at such a high
    level of evolution, that we are morally justified in killing men and
    destroying nations in order to preserve it. Do you believe that he meant to
    exempt discrimination against homosexuals from this principle?

    thanks,
    rick