Re: MD Objectivism and the MOQ III

From: Platt Holden (pholden@sc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 23:36:13 BST

    Hi Mark M,

    > So, he (Platt) chooses to ignore that completely and suggest,
    > quite correctly, that one does not have to be a member of academia to be an
    > intellectual.

    I'm glad we agree on that. :-)

    > 2. "Phaedrus now thought that part of the professors paralysis was a
    > commitment to the twentieth-century intellectual doctrines, in which his
    > university has had a prominent role." Mark: The proffessors' in question is
    > not a group of professors, but a particular individual. He is an
    > Aristotelian, as is Ayn Rand.

    You missed the part about "the university has had a prominent role,"
    clearly placing blame for the paralysis on an academic group who all sang
    from the same hymnal and preached the same gospel of SOM.

    > 3. Platt Holden says, "Dismissing the thought of an individual because
    > he
    > isn't an "academic" is elitism of the worse sort." Platt Holden has not
    > considered economic 'elitism' which denies democratic rights to individuals
    > in favour of business interest.

    How so? You've never explained. To begin, please define "democratic
    rights" and "business interest" which, after all, is comprised of
    individuals.

    > Platt Holden has strongly asserted that he
    > will not research for himself evidence which has been brought to his
    > attention by numerous members of this very forum. And then Platt Holden has
    > the brass neck to begin carping on about elitism.

    Elitism has nothing to do with what one chooses to research. Elitism is
    believing your credentials make you superior.

    > 4. To return to that 99% which Platt Holden avoids: It is a matter for
    > clear intellectual enquiry for anyone to compare Ayn Rand's Objectivism
    > with the MOQ. All this is totally ignored in this response. It is ignored
    > because Platt Holden cannot challenge it.

    No. It is ignored because this is a forum about the MOQ. I do choose to
    engage in "philosophology" you seem to enjoy so much. If you can't buy
    that, so be it. But, if you want to take about art and beauty and their
    relationship to the MOQ . . . :-)

    Best,
    Platt