Re: MD Racist Remarks

From: khaled Alkotob (khaledsa@juno.com)
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 22:31:48 BST

    Hello All, Hello Mark

    You are right on all count.

    My name is Khaled Alkotob, A Muslim of Lebanese descent who lives in
    California ( where the Japanese detention camps were) and I have been
    following the discussions for a while, partially looking for things to
    take my mind off the day to day ugly headlines in the paper.

    I knew sooner or later that the headlines would make it to this board.

    In regard to the this particular discussion I encourage the readers of
    this forum to read the following:

    07/11/05 "The Guardian" --

    The label of Catholic terror was never used about the IRA

    Fundamentalism is often a form of nationalism in religious disguise

    by Karen Armstrong

    a wonderful little article that helps shed some light as to what is
    happening. it's not perfect by all means, but it helps.

    Yes columnist like Thomas Freedman and the like are starting to float the
    idea of detention centers, which I find intriguing and make me pose the
    following questions:

    When the Japanese were rounded up they were contained in their community,
    and fairly easy to identify by name, surname, race and religion.

    The question I pose is HOW are you going to round up the usual suspects?

    You already have a Brazilian national dead. Shot at close range AFTER
    being subdued.

    So you start with the Sunni, then the Shiite, Wahhabi, Salafi, Hanafi. Do
    the Sufi, Bahaii, Alawite, Druze qualify or not?

    Then you go to nationalities, so you round up those of Arab descent ( be
    careful some might be Christian) then Pakistani, Indian, Indonesian?
    How about a Chinese who is Muslim, or a Malaysian. How about Converts to
    Christianity. What if they converted to take cover?
    How about children of mixed marriages? Would a Muslim Yugoslav qualify?

    Lets say you were able to hold a few million people in detention centers,
    then what. How long do you hold them for? What kind of resentment will
    they be harboring when you let hem go? What will their friends and
    relatives who live in the old countries be willing to do?

    During the IRA bombing campaigns, it would have been unheard of to go
    lock up a few Mormons, because some catholics from Ireland made a mess
    somewhere.

    Peace

    Khaled