Re: Is MD a Black Hole?

From: -Peter (pcorteen@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 22:50:22 BST

    Platt, I don't agree. You said:

    He (Pirsig) says we know (experience) low quality before we know
    (understand)
    anything else.

    Where does he say that? You are paraphrasing him and putting your own spin.
    You then quote Pirsig:

     "But that the quality is low is absolutely certain." (Lila, 5)

     I think this sentence is a bit loose. To have a feeling of certainty
    requires time for reflection. An event has taken place; let's say you touch
    a hot stove unintentionally - your skin is damaged even before your brain
    succeeds in making you react. The damaged skin is the the site of the
    'primary empirical reality', knowing, even if you equate it to perception,
    occurs in the brain.

     It is the primary empirical reality from which such things as stoves and
    heat
    and oaths and self are later intellectually constructed." (Lila, 5)

     I think this bears out clearly that knowing occurs after the event.

    And as for:

     Great Art is ...... transparency to the Divine through beauty.

     Why the capitol 'D' ? Is this a new god ?

    -Peter

    --
    Peter Corteen