Re: MD Dealing with S/O

From: David MOREY (us@divadeus.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 18:28:21 BST

    Hi Scott

    I think there is someting interesting
    to look at round this issue. I think that
    all human experience has a front edge
    and it is from this that we start to look
    at the concept of time. I think Bergson
    has done some interesting stuff on this,
    not got it to hand though. If I am seeing
    a woman in a room, it may be the first time
    I have ever seen this woman before, I
    might have to handle a whole new kind of
    situation, or, more often, there is a context,
    the woman is a doctor and we both accept
    a certain social pattern of baehaviour in this
    situation. However, the dynamic possibility
    is always there potentially, maybe I will not
    relate to this inique situation in a patterned way,
    authenticity as Heidegger calls it, this is because
    any situation is unique in some way it would seem to me.
    The patterns always simplify and categorise the situation
    as something that is the same and can be responded to in
    a patterned way. You go for an interview and you really
    are expected to 'play the game' as socially understood
    or you can forget it. What is not a repetition is dynamic
    surely, although it may just take a contingent form and not
    create anything that in turn becomes patterned. Why
    do somethings become patterned and others are merely
    contingent?

    Regards
    David Morey