Re: MD MOQ human development and the levels

From: SQUONKSTAIL@aol.com
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 02:03:21 BST

    Matt:
    Wasn't it Pirsig himself who said that everything is an analogy?

    Ah, here it is:

    "Of course it's an analogy. Everything is an analogy. But the dialecticians
    don't know that." (Ch. 30, ZMM)

    Squonk:
    Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
    You see, some analogies - are better - than others. ;)
    Dynamic Quality isn't an analogy. DQ is where the best analogies come from.

    Matt:
    Of course some analogies are better than others, when have I ever said that
    they weren't?

    But, by saying that DQ isn't an analogy, you hypostatize DQ just as Plato
    hypostatized the Good, which makes you a dialectician, a Platonic metaphysician
    of the kind that Pirsig railed against in ZMM. I simply wanted to point this
    out to anybody who thought that Squonk was trying to evade my charge. Instead
    of evading it, Squonk took it head on and essentially said, "Yes, I am a
    metaphysician of the kind that Pirsig dislikes in ZMM."

    Matt

    sq: OK, how about this? The best analogies are a tension between the static
    repertoire of our language and